Saturday, March 21, 2009

one of the best concerts to date

This past summer I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Radiohead show at the Molson Ampitheatre. They were lawn seats, and I was excited to hear it was for sure 4 days after the concert had sold out. One of my friends was working at MTV and provided the hook-up.



August 15, 2008 - it was rainy weather and I headed down with an umbrella. Meeting up with my friends on the way down, I was also provided with a poncho and a Spiderman Tarp (in case we wanted to sit on the lawn, which we did not because it was so muddy).


By far, one of the best concerts to date. There were lots of lights and a rain/vaporization effect was used in the stage layout. Oddly or magically everything around us was in sync to their music. Seeing Radiohead in an outside venue was nuts. The birds were flying to the beat, there were fire works happening at the CNE in our peripheral vision that were also in tune to the beat. They played new stuff and old stuff and I was content in their decisions.


One of the songs they played which made me deliriously happy was "Talk Show Host" This was one of the first songs that got me hooked on the band and of course it was from watching the 1996 teen hit Romeo & Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes, which I also obsessively watched.

Interesting Fact: When Radiohead released their 2007 album In Rainbows was released all over the internet. Always going against the grain and very much anti-establishment, the band is always doing the unexpected demonstrating that YES they are in it for the music and created buzz while doing it.

Comments towards the band's decision were that they sent shivers through the industry. Some hailed it a brave vision for the digital age and others predicting the end of the world as they knew it.

How they keep it up: For the video "House of Cards" no cameras or lights were used. Instead they used 3-D technologies which reconstructed Thom Yorke's face. A music video without cameras? Yes, the people behind the technology pitched the idea to the band and well how could they pass it up, it screams Radiohead.

Check it out. The video for "House of Cards " that uses a vaporization effect.
- Peace
Les

1 comment:

  1. One of my ex-co workers went to that Radio Head show and he ALWAYSSS use to tell me that RadioHead was the best band ever. Of course I didnt realize who they were until I came across my old Romeo & Juliet soundtrack Cd.
    Yes I was obsessed with Leonardo!
    ANd I LOVEEEEE Talk Show Host! Its on the Cd in my car right now!!!

    ReplyDelete